Monday, February 06, 2012

Word Mens

Man there are times where I feel an affection for Afrikaans more than I think I could ever feel for English.
Perhaps there's someone you know who has grown too big for their boots, their ego swelling till you feel claustrophobic in their company, and their actions so RIDICULOUS that you want to shake them.

Just tell them: "Word mens."

SO simple. What a bloody brilliant way to put it.

And if you feel you're in danger of becoming the person who has to have this said to them... try this.

A special thanks for the idea for this post goes to the wonderful Amanda. I remember as a kid thinking to myself, if I could just be as cool and vibrant as you... then wow, I would be happy. Seeing her this past weekend I realise nothing has changed really, even if I've doubled in height.
I'm still going to try and be as full of positive energy as you always seem to be!
(And I'll keep in mind for myself there's always someone cooler than I am :D)

We were talking about someone and you said she'd be happier if she just would just "word mens" and you're right. Humble is the way to go.

And an extra little "dankie aan Maresa". I learn WONDERFUL new Afrikaans sayings every single time I see you! How could I write something about "die taal" without including you huh? Plus you help to keep me firmly down to earth and I'm grateful.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...