Monday, July 25, 2011

READ it!

This little bit o news on Gizmodo captured my imagination.

It's not that I'm a fan of zombies... I mean who is? (If you are that's definitely not an invitation to meet you as I suspect you're nuts.)
But I am a big fan of this book!
I find it so well written that I describe it as "terrifyingly bloody-well believable!"
But why should I go into a more detailed description when I've found a nice person named Duncan who's done it for me!

World War Z: an oral history of the zombie war is the second zombie book by Max Brooks (Mel Brooks’ son). The first was The Zombie Survival Guide, which I’ve not read, but I believe is basically a lightweight spoof of other ‘survival guides’.The scenario is there was a worldwide zombie outbreak, which pushed humankind to the brink of collapse, but after several years we overcame the walking undead. It’s set in the immediate future, i.e. there are references to current world leaders etc. It’s structured as a series of interviews with some key survivors, ranging from those who first witnessed it, to soldiers who fought in conflict against the zombies.If you ignore the basic zombie plot, this seems to be as much about topics like environmental catastrophe andgeopolitics. The chapters are all set in different locations worldwide, and for the most part are convincing in their attention to detail. There were only a couple of instances which didn’t ring true.There’s lots of nice little surprises along the way too… mainly the way certain country’s fortunes change due to the zombie war, with a few slightly satirical moments to savour....

read the full review on his blog here!

and then READ the book. It makes ya think...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...